Another transitional idea

Chambray. 


Definition : a lightweight clothing fabric with coloured warp and white filling yarns. 

Okaaaay.  That doesn't do a great PR job on it, let's be frank, but it really is the most useful fabric.  To me, it's a soft, usually pale coloured denim, easy and comfy to wear with a flluid, flattering drape to it.  Ideal for warmer days when you don't want to wear full on denim and I have to say, I also love to double it up with full on denim. 

It's normally a very clean look - perfect for achieving the minimalist look (yes with those fugly sandals....)   

The reminder that chambray is such a great Spring/Summer fabric came to me whilst out last week with the 9year old and we had a quick look in Forever21.  She was after some slippers we'd seen online which irritatingly we couldn't find.  And conversely, I now can't find these absolutely gorgeous trousers that we saw.




However we did see some others as well which would probably suit more people as I can appreciate you'll either love or hate the two tone pocket detail. 

These are the ones in my photo below (hopefully you can see how beautifully soft and drapey they are) - the dark denim in the first link.  They're the same hem, they've just been rolled up in the photo (it's not a super tight elastic so you can choose to have either look)








Untitled 


These are similar to the ones I saw but I'm not entirely sure about the wash - love the big pockets though. 




I then went into Jigsaw where there was more chambray.  I think these have very much a Toast look about them actually.  The feel of these is gorgeous. (but is it any different to the feel of the Forever 21 ones? errrr - no, the waistband is different though and these of course are more trouser like as opposed to joggers so very different style to be fair.  Quality wise, totally on a par.)

Jigsaw Tencel Chino in blue £75 (for the record that's Jigsaw calling it Chino as opposed to Chinos.. I'd go with the latter.  Until I get my head a little further up my behind and I shall then call them Chino too) 



Blue Chambray Lace Insert Top £20 from RIver Island  Clean lines in a simple top but with a bit of detail.  







Ice Blue Light Denim tee - £59 from Mint Velvet   This is beautiful.  It actually almost feels like a silk texture if that makes sense?


Tencel is a very similar texture to chambray (I'm not entirely sure if there is a technical difference) and if you're looking for a classic summer denim shirt, this one from Mint Velvet is like wearing velvet denim. (which doesn't perhaps sound the best - poor old chambray does get a rough deal but it's supersoft is what I'm trying to say.  Actually like I said about the above to - a silk texture is probably a more accurate description) 

Love the idea of this open with a white vest underneath, navy fitted blazer over the top and print or dark distressed skinnies. 




Another version with more detailed stitching and visible buttons from Pull & Bear. 





Toast do gorgeous chambray and this season is no exception.  I love the loose shape of this - great for over skinnies. 




There are darker versions too - this one from RIver Island doesn't say that it's chambray but I've seen it instore and it is a definitely a chambray style lightweight fabric.









And darker still from Oasis in a similar familiar shell top style 



I have done a blog on denim dresses before and can't even remember if I included this one but I saw it again in Jigsaw last week and it was one of the things that made me remember how ideal chambray is for this time of year. 









Accessories are also available - I have a large head and so this year rather than trying my luck (and usually failing miserably) with hat after hat after hat and having them perch on top of my head like an unhappy chicken, I shall be heading straight to the men's sections. 

Loving the idea of a pale blue trily. 

M&S Chambray Trilby Hat with linen £19.50 (they also look like they have some other fab hats for men as well which I shall be checking out) 

It's just a great addition to your wardrobe.  I can also solidly vouch for the quality of the Forever21 trousers - I have mine on today from last year, I wore and washed them loads and they're still standing.  Really do love them and am very tempted by the chambray version - my favourite would be the dual fabric pocket ones which means I may have to go back to Bluey this week.  Other than that, my pick would definitely be the hat.  I may just go down the hat route.  It seems that straw trilbies are everywhere this year so just to ring the changes I do like the idea of one in a different texture. 

Very relaxing day here - 7yr old and The Husband were off on a rugby tournament.  Other kids and I hung out here (four loads of washing later) and my mother in law came over for the afternoon.   About to put a movie on to watch with the kids, have some fizz left over from last night and getting a takeaway later.  Loving this sunshine and long may it continue.

Untitled


White longsleeved rib tee - H&M
Navy burnout sweatshirt - Zara
Print harem trousers - Forever21
New Balance Trainers 

Hope everyone else had a fab weekend and had at least an itsy bit of sunshine. xxx

Share this:

CONVERSATION

17 comentarios:

  1. Ooh love the lighter coloured chambray Forever 21 joggers Kat. Didn't think I could 'do' joggers. Although I love them on lots of other people they feel too casual for me, especially the (trackie trouser material) territory ones but I do love those denim ones.

    I also giggled reading your 'slider' post. I'm not sold on them at all, but I have got Birkenstocks so that is my compromise. Saying that, there are some quite sweet 'slip on's' I've just spotted in Next. Really plain leather mules - in white, navy or tan and with a thin sole. I might be tempted yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I didn't even know the Forever21 ones were joggers as rolled up they look like normal loose trews rolled up but in a gorgeous flowing fabric. And ha ha ha, I have to say I think it may have been some thin soled Next ones that first made me think - hmmm maybe these sliders aren't that bad! We'll all be wearing them by next summer of that, I'm sure! xxxx

      Delete
  2. I'm typing this wearing a Baukjen chambray shirt from last year, very comfy as we have just had our takeaway! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have my elasticated Forever21 harems in anticipation of my takeaway later! xxxx

      Delete
  3. Those trousers look fab, I'm after comfy but stylish clothes to wear working from home, is there a link you can share please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean for the trousers? If you hover over the titles of the trousers, you will be able to click through to a link. hope that helps! xxx

      Delete
    2. The ones you're wearing in the picture I like, the pattern is lovely

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the Forever 21 ones. I just have no idea where to find a branch. And also would feel something would beep as I entered, me being in my forties and all. I got the Whistles joggers on your recc and can see I will be living in them. And by the way, you mentioned sandals the other day, check out Mango, they have lovely strappy brown flats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No honestly you'd be fine (although I do feel slightly more justified when I take my 9yr old daughter in with me!) Online isn't too bad although it's difficult to gauge the quality obviously. I will have a look at Mango, thank you xx

      Delete
  5. It's such a tricky time of year and I just want it to be summer already! Love the denim dress too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see this is probably my favourite time of the year for dressing! I love not having to wear a heavy coat but not having to bare too much flesh. Perfect for me. Hope you find something to get you through. xxx

      Delete
  6. They're a fab idea aren't they - i just adore the contrast pockets! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kat, love your blog - we've just bought a house we can't afford and reading your blog has helped me be much more 'focused' in my purchases! Thank you! P.s. I love the Forever21 trousers but I'm quite tall - any suggestions for flat shoes that would go with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that's so lovely to hear, thank you! Flat shoes wise - well I love my skater shoes (yes I am totally obsessed) but also I think that the sandals that are around and we'll hopefully be wearing very soon would look great with them. I've done some sandals posts already but there will be more, fear not. xxx

      Delete
  8. Jigsaw here I come....love those chino! The cap sleeve shirt from River Island looks like a winner too! Great picks Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're gorgeous aren't they? Have to say personally I LOVE the pocket detailing (and the price....) of the Forever21 ones..! xxxx

      Delete
  9. I love my chambray button-down shirts, they are the workhorse of my wardrobe. I also love my shorts and shirt dress. I will have to try on a pair of chambray pants soon!

    ReplyDelete